Thai Grilled Pork on a Skewer with Sticky Rice, Khao Niaow Moo Ping

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 4 (1)

Have you ever walked the streets of Bangkok and almost fallen into an open manhole  because the heavy smoke from the street vendors almost blinded you (These are a real foreigner trap. Who wants a dry victim? We love sauce!), but you didn’t really care because the smoke smelled so good?

If the smoke came from the vendor who was selling some meat on a skewer with sticky rice, that’s the item I’m blogging about this week: Moo Ping, or grilled pork on a skewer. (Moo=Pork, Ping=Grill)

Moo Ping vendors usually sell throughout the day, but you will find them the most in the morning and late afternoon. I would eat it for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Not so much because they are my favorite food, but because I can’t resist their smell while the vendor cooks them!

Moo Ping would make a good finger-food for your Oscar party.

Ingredients: (All of these are approximate portions; you need to taste and adjust to your preference, as I did)

Cilantro root, chopped  1 teaspoon (use 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro stem if you can’t find the root; don’t use the leaf)

Garlic, chopped  1 tablespoon

White pepper, whole  2 teaspoons, or ground, 1 teaspoon (black pepper is okay too)

Pork butt or shoulder, sliced, about 3/16” – 1/4” thick, 1 lb.

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 2

Oyster sauce  1 tablespoon

Dark sweet soy sauce  1 tablespoon (Or mix 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce with 1/2 tablespoon of molasses)

Maggi seasoning sauce  1 tablespoon

Honey  1 tablespoon (or brown sugar)

(Optional) Condensed Milk  2 tablespoons

Coconut milk  1/4 cup

Bamboo skewers

(Optional) Charcoal to grill

(Optional) Cooked sticky rice 1/2 – 1 cup full

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 1

Method:

1) You need to make a Thai trio first by pounding the cilantro root, pepper

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 3

and garlic together (in that order) in a mortar,

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 4

or mince all of them using a garlic press. In total you should have about one full or overflowing tablespoon.

Don’t be confused. I use this trio in Thai cooking all the time, so I made a lot of it, but I didn’t use all of it just for this grilled pork.

2) Mix the condiments, honey, condensed milk and the Thai trio together, blending them well. This is the marinade sauce.

Please note that the coconut milk is not a part of the marinade.

3) String pieces of pork onto the bamboo skewers. Don’t put too many pieces on. Approximately half of the short skewer, 7”, is about right.

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 5

4) Dip each skewer in the marinade and put them in a container or a bag. You need to marinate them for at least 2-3 hours. I marinate them overnight.

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 6

5) Now it’s time to cook them. I hope you know how to start a charcoal grill. I actually don’t :(  I could read the charcoal bag, or just get married. A one-night stand probably could have worked, too, but I wanted to be secure that I could grill anytime I wanted, so I married a grillmaster!

My husband has a nice monster grill that uses propane, but the skewers are so small that I don’t see the point of using the intimidating grill for the task, plus real charcoal gives a much better flavor. So, introducing the picnic grill! (This thing cost under $30)

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 7

You have to either brush the pork with the coconut milk or dip the whole piece in it before you put the skewers on the grill.

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 8

Try your best to control the fire so it’s not so high; medium high is the best. Check to see if they’re cooked on one side, then turn. Don’t just take photographs and let them burn like you know who, with the obvious proof right here!

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 9

6) Serve with sticky rice.

Thai Grilled Pork on the skewers, Moo Ping 1 (1)

43 Comments on “Thai Grilled Pork on a Skewer with Sticky Rice, Khao Niaow Moo Ping”

1. Anju Vaswani says:

OMGZZZZZZZZZ! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

2. This excellent website really has all of the info I wanted about this subject and didn’t know
    who to ask.

3. GunMonkey says:

I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to have found your blog. I lived in Bangkok for four years and moo ping was my breakfast most days (I passed two stalls on my way to work–my commute went: 1) buy moo ping for breakfast; 2) buy kanom for the pretty girls in accounting; 3) buy chicken rolls for the monitor lizards that live in front of the office). I have been trying to find an authentic moo ping recipe since I left Thailand, but most recipes are for satay.

One question: do you happen to know a recipe for dipping sauce? I would give a kidney for the dipping sauce.

Thanks again for posting this!

• How does your dipping sauce look like? Each vendor has their own version. My guess is “Nam Jim Jaew”. You can go read my other post about dipping sauce first. If none of the dipping sauce there look similar to your dipping sauce, show me picture or describe it.

4. Hey there! I’ve been following your blog for a long time now and finally got the bravery
    to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

5. I got this web page from my buddy who told me on the topic of this
    website and at the moment this time I am browsing this site and reading very
    informative articles or reviews at this time.

6. Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and
    i was just curious if you get a lot of spam responses? If
    so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any help is very
    much appreciated.

7. […] and Thai Grilled Pork Skewers (Moo Ping). […]

8. Sounds like a great one!

9. Conor Bofin says:

Really delicious Miranti. Two things I noticed.
    1. Your great spice rack.
    2. The perfect white colour of the coals.
    Excellent stuff.

• I’ve got many compliments on my spice rack. It’s about 3.5′ long and about 15″ high, filled with all kind of spices on them. I would trade these with a set of copper pots and pans anytime ;)

The charcoal…haha…this is my husband part. He wouldn’t allow me to put the meat on until he approved. Which is about 20 minutes after I saw the fire (and if he didn’t do that, I would have cooked the meat 20 minutes earlier!).

10. Cluttercafe says:

This looks so friggin good! I wish you were closer to NH so you could give me some lessons! I guess I will have to settle for virtual lessons. We don’t have any good markets, so a lot of times I can’t get what I need to make your recipes. It makes me want to scream!

• Yeah, I totally understood. I used to live in D.C. area from 1992-1995, cooking Thai food back then was a little chaotic. Try order ingredients from online store. I like templeofthai.com. They have better customer service than importfood.com and have most of the ingredients. Fresh ingredients you can try amazon too.

11. Oyin says:

my gosh! that looks so so delicious!

12. Thanks for stopping by my blog G’day Souffle’- I just posted an answer to your question about making canele’s! I haven’t been following any blogs about Thai food, so I’m sure I will learn lots of things from your blog!

• Thanks for visiting :) …I posted the reply back on your Canale post. I’m planning to make another batch this weekend for friends. This time I will be making 2 batches of batter. One use 3 eggs and another I will use the old recipe 2 eggs 2 yokes. I kinda thing it’s a little “eggy”. This time I might reduced the sugar too. I used the confectioner sugar (icing) not the regular sugar or baker’s sugar like your recipe. I’ve found that the texture of the inside is better for me.

Opps…this is grilled pork post…I forgot…haha.

13. Patty Nguyen says:

This looks delicious! I can smell it all the way from here!

14. goanflavour says:

Aarrrgh. I don’t want to see your blog anymore :(. Too many lovely food photos. Yes, I have had this lovely pork snack in Bangkok and in Phuket. I especially remember the Phuket one because it was near the sea, and it was so nice to chomp on this tasty treat that I had 2 more :)!!! Miss Thailand, miss the food :(!!!!

15. saucygander says:

Awesome! Now I can become grill master too (once someone else lights up the grill)! :-D

16. Hari Qhuang says:

I would love to try this recipe! :D
    Our Peranakan – Chinese satay is usually flavored with coriander seeds and kaffir lime leaves. We also use coconut milk, oyster sauce, margarine and dark soy sauce.

I bet this one will be a nice change of aroma. :D

17. Jueseppi B. says:

Reblogged this on The ObamaCrat™.

18. annascuisine says:

Mm…my family would definitely love these mouth-watering barbecue pork on skewers. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

19. LFFL says:

A better question is why aren’t they covering the manhole? Lol!

• You mean took the fun away from seeing farangs falling in them…lol…Plus they can’t sue the city for the damage too!

That’s actually an interesting question to ask the mayor of Bangkok but I grew up seeing them that way. I might freak out not seeing one without cover every 1,000 feet, you know.

20. G’day! These look WONDERFUL Miranti!
    Will be sharing the love at Best Bloggers Homemade too!
    Cheers! Joanne

21. susieu says:

My favourite breakfast ka! You always make your food so authentic, thank you, thank yoy, thank you for posting this recipe!

• Every time I go back to visit, the first morning in Bangkok that I smell the charcoal smoke from the moo-ping vendor, is when I feel that I’m finally home…lol…(not that drunk night and eat Kuay Jub from the street vendor before bed for sure :)

I’m glad you enjoy it, Susie. Make sure that your cute baby familiar with Thai foods. He might grew up to become a Thai movie star and live there some day, you never know ;)